St Augustine’s Catholic College Curriculum intent:
Our curriculum intent reflects our mission statement:
St Augustine’s is a Catholic College which embraces the gospel values of Jesus Christ in its everyday life and work. It is a learning community that seeks the highest standards of excellence whilst remaining committed to valuing each individual and their gifts. Our aim is to help each person achieve their potential and become equipped for an adult life of service for others.
As such we intend to achieve the following through the college ethos energizing the curriculum:
Our mission, inspired by the distinctive vision of Catholic education, is the holistic development of all our young people without exception so they are identified through their achievements, aptitudes and goodness, recognising the intrinsic value and dignity of every human being through all they do. The following bullet points emphasises the curriculum intent of St Augustine’s which is how the mission of the college is experienced by all:
- We aim to provide all our students with an energetic, inclusive, rigorous and broad curriculum which is accessible for all, challenges their academic ability, empowers independence and creativity and promotes spiritual, physical, and social health and well-being.
- We maintain as broader balance of subjects and wider experiences as possible to enable our students to flourish in the fullness of humanity and prepare them to play positive and compassionate role in society as adults.
- A broad offer of extracurricular activities enhances the academic curriculum and ensures life affirming cultural capital for all students.
- Growth mind-set is emphasised through the curriculum, instilling positive character traits for success in our students as encapsulated in St Augustine’s SPIRIT.
- Our curriculum is one that develops students so they build up knowledge over time, within and between subject areas, which becomes more complex as they grow older. The curriculum also provides opportunities for students to develop a wide range of skills that enable them to use their developing knowledge with confidence.
- Employment of a three year Key Stage 3 across the curriculum in the majority of subject areas ensures this key stage is given its status as a foundation for success at Key Stage 4.
- We promote the importance of learning languages, the study of which enables our students to appreciate culture and diversity.
- Across the curriculum students are supported in building strong literacy, numeracy and oracy skills which supports learning and develops confidence.
A clear careers programme to enable students to develop a personal vision relating to their next steps.