Extra curricular Science aimed at Y7 and Y8
Really ICE science
To have a go at some of the following you will need to prepare the following:
- ice cubes
- blue ice cubes (use food colouring)
- warm red water
- large glass or clear tub
- ziplock bag, small and large
- milk, sugar and vanilla essence.
Practical 1 – Making ice cream
- Mix 2 tbsp milk with 1/2 tsp vanilla essence and 1 tsp sugar in a small zip-lock bag.
- In a larger zip-lock add 10 cubes of ice and 2-3 tbsp of salt.
- Place the sealed small zip-lock into the larger one and seal carefully to remove air.
- Squish and agitate the bag for 10 minutes until the milk solution freezes.
- carefully remove small bag, grab a teaspoon and test out your ice cream!
Practical 2 – convection currents and ice
This can also be done in a glass rather than tub.
Send in any photos of your science experiments to Mrs Arndell (science) to teams ‘science club’